Being outdoors is why we all live in the Yampa Valley … the sunrises, sunsets, mountain views, lake views, fresh air, sunshine, fall colors, starry nights, snowy days … the list is endless of why we love being outside. Creating an outdoor space that embraces mountain living, and provides you with your own sanctuary, makes your home even more valuable.
If you’re dreaming of creating your own outdoor oasis, consider these 5 tips.
- Take Time to Define Your Objective. What mood do you want to create? Do you want a fun space for your kids to play, an area to entertain clients, or a quiet, intimate nook to reconnect with loved ones?
- Determine the Location. Search for that perfect place on your property. Spend time there looking at the views, feeling how the weather affects it throughout the day, walking to/from to settle into the paths. Does it meet your objective? Can you feel the vision come to life?
- Envision the Backdrop. What do you want to see from this new space? And how does that tie into your mood/objective? For example, staring into a dirt wall won’t help you feel relaxed at the end of a long day. But if you rotate your space just a bit, you could watch the sunset over the Flat Tops.
- Make it Functional. There are so many functional factors to consider to make your space work well – elevations, entrances, drainage, etc. Without it functioning well, you won’t be able to enjoy the beauty.
- Work with Local Experts. Mountain trees and plants are vastly different than other landscapes. Using local plant material will not only make your space feel integrated into the area, but it will last far longer.